Welcome

Welcome. I am no one, and you’ve never heard of me. You are also no one, and I’ve never heard of you. This is how most creative writing works and how most creative writers live their lives. While some strive to publish and become famous, others write for the pure joy of writing. Some write literary tales and others write obliterary tales. Obliterary is not a real word. Most good writing doesn’t use real words. Don’t believe me? Read Faulkner.

The creative writing process is, for the most part, a solitary one. I may be your only friend who understands why you think macaroni and cheese is a character flaw. I may be the only person you know that has also woken up in the middle of the night and had to write something mega fantastic down. It’s these kinds of little major details that make us writers. What is the stuff we’re made of? Duh, creativity.

Over the years, the painfully long lackluster yet amazing years of writing and honing my craft, I’ve developed a good sense of humor about this whole self-inflicted situation. Sure, there are days when you want to write, but there are other days when you sit there and can’t put words down. Other times there are horrible days when you are reading your own writing and wish you had never written anything before. That’s the truth of the matter. The truth other writers and most especially writing books won’t tell you about. That’s what I’m here for. To speak the truth and not sugar coat the gravity of the situation we both find ourselves in.

Let me be straight with you. I’m not the best writer ever, and neither are you. Reading this won’t make either one of us better. However, it just may be possible that reading this will make you comforted, willing, motivated, or even inspired in the writing journey you are on. If this does that, and you feel that way because I wrote this, then you can go on to write something that is nothing like this. See how fun words are?

The information found here are a few musings for you on the creative writing process from the real side of things. I do hope it encourages you to do your best in whatever you are working on. It doesn’t really matter if you’re a poet, fiction writer, novelist, non-fiction writer, essayist, memoir writer, or you enjoy describing panels for graphic novels, I want you to enjoy the pain that writing causes and know you aren’t going it alone. Best of luck to you in your writing endeavors, and don’t quit your day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment