Burning Spirit - The Pitch

February, so far, has been a busy month. Between housesitting and just about everyone coming down with some kind of temporary sickness, it's been hard to keep up with the blog and talk to you. However, when things get busy, I keep writing. I keep working on my witch novel, A Burning Spirit, editing, cutting, adding, etc.. But, to be honest, when the squeeze of time happens, I'm sorry, I choose the novel over the blog. If I didn't, then I wouldn't have anything to submit to agents/publishers down the road but an idea, a first draft, and a lot of blog entries.
I know you understand this, even if you've been missing me deep down inside. It's okay. There, there. I'm here for you. See? I brought you a pretty, pretty picture to make up for it. Ah, yes, the Wicked Witch of the West. Feel better now?

As for this Burning Spirit, the edits are going great and I have a nice balance going between Elsbeth's current plot, and her background of how she came to be who she is. Elsbeth is a good witch, as Dorothy of Kansas would understand her, but she's not untroubled. She doesn't need Prozac, but feeling like you're the last witch in the world can get a girl down.

As I've been tweaking the story and finding out more and more about my characters, I've also been working on an elevator pitch for the book to really nail down what the story is about. There are so many great elements in the book, it's hard to condense it down to just the most basic and important information. So, with fingers crossed and breath held, I'd like to share it with you.

 ~~*~~
A witch cursed with immortality, Elsbeth has searched for other witches to break her spell for two centuries, but found none. As Elsbeth sparks a new search, she’s confronted by a man from her past — the same dark man who burned her at the stake over 350 years earlier. Now Elsbeth must face the fact that not only did warlocks initiate the witch trials to exterminate witches, but also she may be the last witch. Her death, if the warlocks can ensure it, means their victory.
~~*~~ 

I'd love to hear what you think of the story's pitch. I'm pretty fond of it myself and I think Elsbeth would approve. She's one tough, magical cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment