Story 3: The thing I thought I wouldn't do but I'm doing.

So story 3 is done and lacking. Not completely lacking, but something is missing that's for sure. However, what story 3 is or isn't, has nothing to do with this post. Here, I'll give you a little back history: in case you haven't heard of it there is a thing called National Novel Writing Month (aka: nanowrimo) that happens in November. Through http://www.nanowrimo.org/ you set up a free account and for 30 days you write 50,000 words which should be a good start for anyone with a plot line and desire to write a novel.

I've done nanowrimo for two years in 2008 and 2009 and each time came away from November with 50K words and exhaustion. Over this last year I've been toying around with whether or not I would do it again or just chill. If I did it my plan was to write 15 short stories, not one story, and compile them around a central theme. Well, I decided that I wouldn't do it. No, I'm not going to come up with the plots ahead of time and set the goal for stories, character ideas, etc., so I would be ready for typing come November 1st.

And then November 1st came and I couldn't resist the temptation to track my word count and get stories written. The only thing I don't like about this is that I don't have anything plotted out. Don't get me wrong, I like free writing and seeing where it takes me, but if/when I'm really honest with myself, my best writing is when I know where I'm going with my characters so I'm kind of in short story freefall here. Either way, the good news is that I'm writing and by the end of November I should have at least 15 more stories to add to my 52 Story Pick Up tally.

No comments:

Post a Comment